This is my mom and dad and this is their backyard!! My dad especially does not want to leave his home. He raised his family here, so I don’t blame him. He says it’s way better than a retirement home and he’s not about to go to a nursing home. We worry about him the most. He is 8 years older than our mom. My sister is already working on bringing comfort and safety to their home by installing mini blinds on the back windows, and is thinking about ways to make their bathroom safer. My siblings and I are wanting to help our parents maintain their independence and live at home longer. That is what my dad would want us to do.
They have this beautiful home on the lake, and why in the world would they leave if they don’t have to. If they are going to stay here, there’s going to have to be some much needed safety adjustments to make. My sister and I go around and around about just how this is to be done.
10 Tips to Make Your Parents’ Home Comfortable and Safe as they Age Gracefully:
- Check kitchen stove and oven and all appliances to make sure they are working properly.
- Make sure their home is at a comfortable temperature throughout the year. Add insulation if necessary.
- Place smoke alarms in every room and check batteries often.
- Be sure to have a medical emergency plan in place.
- Put nightlights in the hallway and in the bathroom.
- We want our parents to enjoy the outdoors, so make sure to remove all hazardous material in and around the exiting doors, on the porches, and around the yard. Place lights outside too.
- Remove clutter around the house so no tripping will happen (especially in the middle of the night). Throw rugs should be removed, as well as small stools and plants.
- Consider intercoms. My parents already have this in place. They can talk to each other from the house to my dad’s shop.
- Install handrails where needed.
- Consider installing a premier walk-in bath tub
Are you looking to increased comfort and ease to the home of your loved ones, or perhaps your own? If so, have you considered a walk-in tub? Whether you are looking at bringing safety adjustments to your own home, or are assisting your parents in the ability to live at home longer with ease, Premier Care would like to help you do that by providing peace of mind to the home with their premier walk-in bath tub options.
Made with the highest quality material, Premier Care offers strength, security and most of all, peace of mind. In addition to the safe and easy access baths, your bathroom will be beautifully remodeled for comfort and ease.
Most of my friends have already lost both of their parents, so I feel very lucky that we still have them in our lives. This is most of our family and we love it when we visit mom and dad at their lake house. Our home away from home!!
Premier Care is focused on bringing ease to your home in an easy way, and offers payments as low as $150.00 per month! I invite each and everyone of you at your convenience to visit their website and fill out the information for a free brochure. They also offer a free home assessment!
Whether you’re searching for ways to make your home more comfortable to live in as you gracefully age, or looking to add some safety features to your parents’ home, consider Premier Care Bathing as your next step to a safer bath room experience.