When baking with essential oils, there are certain things you need to be cautious about. Here are 8 tips for baking with essential oils.
8 Tips for Baking with Essential Oils
- Always keep your essential oils in a dark glass container, away from heat, light, and humid conditions. You can also store them in the refrigerator if necessary.
- Use a glass or ceramic bowl when mixing ingredients that contain essential oils. The essential oil may ruin certain types of plastic.
- Don’t leave the cap off the bottle.
- Essential oils have a much longer shelf-life than dried herbs or spices. While oils may be more costly in the initial stages, over the long haul they will prove to be more cost-effective.
- Because all essential oils tend to have different viscosity levels, don’t drop the oil directly into your mixture. Drop the required amount on a spoon and then into your mixture to ensure you have the proper amount.
- A little goes a long way. Drop, stir, taste – repeat if needed.
- Try to avoid touching the insert with your fingers as your natural oils may affect the oil composition.
- If you are baking with kids, be sure to keep the oils out of reach. Essential Oils are highly concentrated and should be used with caution.
I’ve started experimenting with essential oils in my baking, as well as making beauty treatments and household cleaners, and I can tell you that they work wonderfully. All natural is the way to go these days. I’m reading more and more on how people are switching over. Any essential oils will work, just make sure they are 100% pure – no additives included, for example – doTerra Essential Oils are 100% pure grade!! You want to get the full benefit of your oils.
And…trust me, when it says 1 drop, that’s all you need!! Don’t make the mistake my sister made. She made a pot of beans once and dropped more of oregano and thyme than what the recipe called for and ruined her pot of beans. She literally had to throw it in the trash…no one would eat it!! These two essential oils are very potentate. So, when you’re baking with essential oils, be very cautious.
Do you bake with essential oils or make beauty treatments? I would love to hear what you have made – do share!!