Blackberries are abundant when your mother-in-law brings you tons of them from when she picked her own at a near-by Blackberry Farm. Of course, we all know June is the perfect time to pick fresh blackberries, so I decided to use a few of them for this delicious Blackberry Lemon Skillet Cake. My husband is the one who suggested I use a skillet to bake in. I have frozen all of my blackberries, so keep an eye out on more delicious recipes from me using blackberries!!
Blackberry Lemon Skillet Bake
- 3 cups blackberries
- lemon pound cake mix
- heavy cast iron skillet
- Prepare Lemon Pound Cake Mix as directed on box.
- Spray the skillet lightly with oil just in case. Not sure you really need to, but hubby told me I should, so I did.
- When pre-heating oven, place skillet inside oven to heat up. According to my husband, this helps the cake cook evenly.
- Using a hand-mitt, slowly take out skillet and place on top of stove. Pour blackberries in skillet.
- Top with lemon pound cake batter.
- Place back in oven and bake as directed on cake mix. This particular cake mix called for baking 45-55 mins. I set the timer for 45 mins to check. It was done at 45 mins.
- Let cool, then drizzle glaze on top (came in cake mix) or make your own, or use nothing
- Serve warm
So, as you can see you can use any cake mix and bake it like this. This particular lemon mix went well with blackberries. The sweetness of this lemon cake mix and the tartness of blackberries go very well together. Doesn’t this look delicious? It is!!