If you’re looking for a good moist strawberry bread to make for the holidays, here it is. I have made this homemade old fashion holiday strawberry bread every year for the holidays. Everyone has raved over it for years.
Back in 1983 when a now distant friend served this amazing strawberry bread at her holiday dinner, I fell madly in love with it and I wanted to make it for my own holiday feast. She wrote down the recipe and I’ve made it ever since. I may have skipped a year here and there and made something else, but for the most part, this bread has been my recipe that I take to family gatherings and holiday parties.
One small…(well maybe big) change – since I have become a healthy eater, this year I made my homemade old fashion holiday strawberry bread with healthier ingredients.
This is not the original recipe card from my friend, Mary Lyn but is the recipe card I wrote many years ago. Looks like I was going to give it to another friend, but I guess I decided to keep it for myself!!
As you can see from the recipe card, it doesn’t specify any type of brand to use, has my old married name, and I even changed the name to “old fashion”.
Below, I have given the ingredients I used this year. If you using a healthier brand isn’t your thing, by all means, use the above recipe. It is a tad bit moister than my healthier version below, and served my family well for many years!!
Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread
- 3 cups Bob Mills Bleached White All-purpose
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda (aluminum free)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 20 oz package thawed frozen strawberries*
- 4 eggs; well beaten organic farm fresh eggs or cage-free eggs
- 1-1/4 cup Nutiva Coconut Oil (melt and let cool before added to liquid mixture).
*not sure these strawberries are any healthier but different from what I’ve used in the past.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In large bowl mix dry ingredients together and make a hole in the center.
- Smash up strawberries until they become juicy.
- Pour in all liquid ingredients in the hole of dried ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly by hand. No need to get out the electric mixer.
- Pour into a large greased & floured loaf pan OR two regular size loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hr.
I normally use loaf pans but I had these darling paper bundt cake pans I wanted to use up. Strawberry bread went in and came out a little uneven, but still yummy!!
In the past, I have added walnuts to my strawberry bread. I’ve also drizzled a glaze of confection sugar & water over the top. Most people who enjoy my strawberry bread eats it at room temperature, however, warming it slightly with butter on top is always good!! Oh, healthier butter that is!!!
Enjoy my Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and a Merry Christmas!!