Have you ever wondered what your DNA says about you? It’s not just in the movies anymore…we can find out through DNA genetic testing in a few simple steps. Today, I am sharing information on 23andMe DNA Genetic Testing + my personal reports.
When I first came across 23andMe was when I partnered with Babble Boxx on a sponsored post. Babble Boxx is a box of related products for influencers such as me to review and write about. I was most intrigued to learn about what 23andMe could tell me about my overall wellness. 23andMe, then asked if I would review my personal report in a blog post.
23andMe DNA Genetic Testing + My Personal Reports
23andMe DNA Genetic Testing
You will learn all about your DNA through this test kit. You will understand what your 23 pairs of chromosomes (your DNA) say about certain areas of your life. In the 23andMe DNA genetic testing kit you’ll receive 65+ personalized genetic reports in four key areas:
- Ancestry Reports – learn about your family history.
- Wellness Reports – you’ll be more informed about choices you make via diet and exercise, including caffeine consumption and lactose intolerance.
- Traits Reports – find out what makes you the unique person that you are by knowing food preferences and physical features, such as hair color and loss, and taste & smell.
- Carrier Status – Are you a carrier of an inherited condition? Find out here. This is great to know if trying to conceive.
Once you purchase and receive your kit, the next few steps are simple – register your kit online, spit, wait about 6-8 weeks to discover what your DNA says about you. That’s it! Then, your reports will be delivered to you via your secured online account.
My Personal Reports
I had never spit into a tube before and found it a little gross, but this certainly didn’t have any affect on my interest in what these test show. I followed the easy-to-read directions. In no time, I was finished and off it went in the prepaid envelope that was provided. As you can see from the below photo, I received my kit well before the 6-8 week time period that was given.
So, I won’t bore you with all the details of my report, but here are some of my favorite findings. Though I will say, I’d hoped to learn if I had a gluten issue, as that’s my main concern today, but no such luck there. Since my most concern is wellness, I’m sharing that part of my report with you. But before I do, none of the reports I received were deep or concerned me at all. I always will say that I am pretty much a healthy person except for my thyroid issues, so I wasn’t surprised at all from these findings. My first reaction to these reports was that they didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know, however, I’m glad to know a few things (see below) that are for sure…and that to me is less worrying on my part.
* Well, one thing is for sure I am NOT lactose intolerant. There was a time I really thought I was. One of my favorite foods to eat is cheese, so it’s nice to know that when I do eat cheese, I don’t have to worry anymore!!
* I consume caffeine every morning, and sometimes during the day, and it looks like (from the report) I am on average am likely to consume slightly less caffeine. WOW – that’s good news…because I love my coffee!!
* The report says I’m less likely to be a deep sleeper – but I already knew that. However, my movement during sleep is somewhat more likely than most, but my husband tells me that all the time!! So I guess that’s true!
* The report says I can flush out alcohol easily. Not sure what that truly means, but it’s nice to know I don’t have to worry about adding Bailey’s to my coffee now!!
* On the Traits report – it said I had freckles and light skin…and I do!!
* One thing that was really neat was that from my DNA, it’s gathered that my ancestry came from Northwestern Europe and that I’ve got British and Irish in me. I did not know that!!
These reports are long, and I have not gone through it all, but what I’m gathering from these reports is that they only test the surface of your DNA, and that I’m being compared with other users. There’s nothing in these reports for me to be concerned about. I’m recommending to you to read up on everything 23andMe has to offer and you decide for yourself if this is something you would want to do.
After I registered my kit, I was kept informed via email about the progress. Here are a few emails I received along the way.
- Your kit has been registered.
- Your 23andme sample was received. You can review the status and watch a brief video.
- Sent me a few inspiring stories from happy customers.
- Your reports are ready. View your reports online. This is one email you will not want to delete!!
- Have any questions? Need help? tutorials, a help center, forums, videos are available.
More about 23andMe
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company, founded in 2006 by three people. The mission of the company is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The name 23andMe refers to the fact that human DNA is organized into 23 pairs of chromosomes. 23andMe connects individuals to their unique, paired set of 23 chromosomes.
I hope you were able to get some insight on 23andMe DNA Genetic Testing + My Personal Reports. If you want to know more about your DNA, ancestry and more? Go to 23andme.com to find out about your options.