It’s beginning to look a lot like BUG SEASON! It’s also a wonderful time for camping, gardening, hiking, and other outdoor adventures. My All-Natural Insect Repellent Recipe with Essential Oils is the key.
We welcome the enjoyment, but not the bugs, so that means we must protect ourselves against threatening and harmful bites. But before you reach for that bottle of spray that contains DEET or other harmful chemicals, consider making your own that’s safe for your entire family.
All-Natural Insect Repellent Recipe with Essential Oils
All-Natural Insect Repellent Recipe:
- small spray bottle
- funnel (optional)
- 50-75+ drops (total) of essential oils (cinnamon, lemon, orange, rose geranium, eucalyptus, lavender, tree tea)
- 3 tablespoons carrier oil (olive, sunflower oil, etc.)
- 5 tablespoons witch hazel (avail. at Walmart in the pharmacy section or at drugstore)
Different oils repel different bugs, so it’s best to use a combination of essential oils to ward off several types of insects.
- cinnamon oil (mosquitoes)
- lemon eucalyptus or regular eucalyptus oil (mosquitoes, ticks, and lice)
- orange oil (fleas)
- rose geranium (ticks and lice)
Mix carrier liquids first, then add essential oils. I used a mixture of the above to mine. I used over 20 drops of cinnamon as this is a fragrance oil and is the least expensive oil of all the ones I have on hand.
Don’t forget…You’ll need to re-apply this natural product after about an hour or after swimming or exercise. Be sure to shake the bottle before each use. Enjoy your spring and summer…outdoors!