Inspired by Brody’s week at nature camp last week, I decided to make some more dirt dough. This DIY Activity for Kids – Dirt Dough (uncooked playdough) is a bit different than I’ve seen on the Internet as this one includes coffee grounds. This is such a cool idea …and it smells good too. Try adding flavored coffee grounds for even a better smelling dough.
Brody’s week at nature camp was a bit pricey, but I’m glad they gave me their recipe for dirt dough. Besides his dough he made, the recipe and a t-shirt that’s pretty much all he came home with after it ended. He had a great time though and that is what counts…really.
DIY Activity for Kids – Dirt Dough (uncooked playdough)
Brody’s Dirt-Like Dough Instructions
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- coffee grounds
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of coffee liquid (optional, if needed)
- In a bowl mix water, salt, oil.
- Gradually add flour and cornstarch until the mixture reaches the consistency of bread dough.
- Knead with hands – that’s the fun part!
- Add coffee grounds to your liking to form the dirt-like dough. I used 2 K-cups of grounds.
- Add liquid from coffee if needed, otherwise, add a bit more water if needed.
- Play hard. Have fun.
- Store covered in a zip lock bag.
As parents, we have to just let go and let them do it, right? This is one craft I let Brody pretty much do all by himself. It was a little messy but it cleaned up well. He had so much fun making his dirt dough, then played with it for hours…and that includes poking his fingers in it!
Get kids involved with DIY Activity for Kids – Dirt Dough (uncooked playdough)!
Here’s another fun DIY for kids to make…and this one they can use after they play with playdough! DIY Kid’s Natural Hand Soap – http://forevergreenmom.com/diy-kids-natural-hand-soap-balls/#