The Bakken Invitation was started by Philanthropist, Earl Bakken, one of the co-founders of Medtronic. He has had his life extended due to medical technology, and is very thankful. He wanted a place to share about inspiring people who too have been given extra life despite medical challenges, and who have decided to give back…The Bakken Invitation was born. The 10 chosen Honorees of The 2014 Bakken Invitation Award have all written on how they have LIVE ON. GIVE ON.
These 10 Nominees chosen by Medtronic have had serious complications and challenges due to a medical issue…BUT have overcome their hardship and have fought to strive through it all. They are now giving back to their community in a big way. Each have shared their life’s tips in the infographic below. These stories [I promise] will inspire you as they did me.
- Donate gently used clothing to the nearest close closet. Done.
- Give to the Salvation Army Red Kettle Fund – drop money in the red kettle EVERY TIME we pass by one. It could be a $1 each time. Have your kids do it. I know mine is thrilled to put money in there and hopefully it’s teaching him how to help others who may not have what he has. Done and doing as long as the Red Kettle is out.
- Help with Snack Packs for our local Elementary school. The Elementary school just down the street from us, and the school Brody will attend Kindergarten next year has at least 90 kids who go hungry on weekends because their parents can not afford groceries. The lady in charge gets donations from local companies, and volunteers like me meet at a church and assemble hundreds of snack packs each month to be given out to kids on every Friday. I do this now.
- Take gently used toys to a children’s home. Many kids, as you know will not get toys for Christmas this year. This saddens me. Brody (5 years old) is doing this.
- Give brand new Teddy Bears to our local police department. Many times police have to pick up children from battered homes in a moment’s notice and it’s nice when these kids can hold on to something soft. I will be doing this next week.
These giving back ideas are just a few small ways I can help my community. The holidays are always a great time to start something wonderful and worthwhile, and are also when others really need our help. Will you be giving back to your community? But please, don’t wait until you feel you “have to” to start giving back…Do It Now, and together we can make this world a better place!
Leave a comment below telling me [What you plan to do to give back to your community AND how will you share the money should you win this giveaway.] Also, leave your contact email address. That’s all! Be sure to visit The Bakken Invitation to how others are giving back – it’s so heart warming!!
DATE: 12/30/14 – THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW OVER
AND THE WINNER IS TAMI Q.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ENTERING – CONGRATS TAMI Q.