Hypothyroidism, also referred to as an under-active thyroid, affects two to three percent of the American population today. Here are a few suggestions on natural alternatives to Hypothyroidism.
Natural Alternatives to Hypothyroidism
Thyroid glands are located below the larynx on either side of the windpipe. The main cause of Hypothyroidism is as a result of the poor functioning thyroid gland. A poor functioning thyroid gland can be due to the lack of proper stimulation by hypothalamus gland.
However, there are other causes of a poorly functioning thyroid gland which include:
- Hashimoto’s Disease – This is an autoimmune disorder where the body’s immune system attacks its own body cells and organs. This disease makes the immune system to attack the thyroid gland which in turn causes inflammation.
- Medications – Various drugs can influence the functionality of the thyroid gland and the thyroid hormone production.
- Abnormalities of Pituitary Gland – If the pituitary gland does not function well, it can make the thyroid gland to stop working properly.
These are just a few of the major causes of Hypothyroidism, however, there are other causes of this thyroid condition. This includes:
- Food intolerance
- Iodine imbalance
- Thyroid treatment & surgery
- Congenital hypothyroidism
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism can include:
- Weight gain
- Muscle & joint pain
- Cold intolerance
- Dry skin
- Slowed heart rate
- Puffy feet, hands, and face.
Hypothyroidism is tested through medical history check, physical examination as well as blood tests. Two main ways in which Hypothyroidism is treated include synthetic thyroxine administration and nutrition and iodine.
Fortunately, there are Natural Alternatives to Hypothyroidism.
- Avoid Gluten – Food intolerance and allergies are mainly caused by intake of dairy products; they contain hybridized proteins of gluten. They can cause inflammation of thyroid gland and hence affect its functionality.
- Check the iodine levels – If you have a low iodine level, use the organic liquid or kelp supplements to raise your iodine level.
- Eat a natural diet – processed foods, preservatives, colors etc. should be avoided. Instead, go for pure and natural foods for a better thyroid health.
- Apples and pears – These wonderful fruits have been discovered to contain hormone balancing characteristics and therefore will keep thyroid hormone in check.
- Coconut oil – it is known for its role in speeding up metabolism rate and it encourages the production of thyroid hormone.
- Avoid stress – Thyroid is very sensitive gland and it is highly reactive to stress. So, you should practice relaxation.
- Maintain a healthy gut – Thyroid functions depend on having enough supply of healthy gut bacteria which makes it important to take probiotic supplements.
- Include selenium in your diet – Selenium improves the thyroid gland functionality. Some best sources of selenium include Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, salmon, among others.
- Reduce carbohydrate intake – Excess carbs tends to increase estrogen which can negatively influence the thyroid. You can replace carbs intake with healthy fats such as coconut oil, avocado, chia, among others.
Treatment involves hormone regulation. There are medications that do that but in the long run, they may actually do more harm to your body than good. With natural ways of treating Hypothyroidism, you stand a better chance of making the thyroid gland resume normal operation without endangering your other body functions.