It’s so easy to just toss some food in your kid’s lunch box and send them on their way, especially when you are running late. So I thought I would share how to pack healthier school lunches for kids + ideas that are doable.
Pack Healthier School Lunches for Kids + Ideas
My husband and I aren’t perfect parents, but I can say we do feed our family healthy foods most of the time. We especially send our son off to school with good nutrition. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
Pack Healthier School Lunches for Kids
Plan your week.
Sit down for a few minutes on Sunday afternoon and plan out the next week’s lunches. This will help prepare you for what’s on the menu and make your mornings go smooth.
Shop in the healthy section.
Many grocery stores nowadays have a healthy section in their stores. Don’t be afraid to peruse these isles. I think you’ll be surprised at what you find. For instance, I buy Annie’s instead of Cheez-it which cuts down on fat, salt and carbs. Not to mention Annie’s has no artificial flavors or synthetic preservatives. Plus, there are coupons out there for healthier foods too.
Include fruits and vegetables.
Choose the ones your kids will eat and rotate them out. It may cost a little more but there are fruits and veggies already cut up.
Choose drinks wisely.
It’s not only about the food, drinks are important, too. Choosing milk, water or low sugar juice is always a better choice than sugary drinks and sodas. It’s truly okay to send your kids with water in their lunches.
Change it up.
Eating the same lunch every day can be boring. Even the healthy ones. Keep your kids happy and try something new. Plus, eating a variety of foods gives your body a variety of nutrients.
Stay away from packaged snacks.
Yep, it’s easier to throw them in, but those salty and sugary snacks are not doing their daily energy levels any good .
Buy a new lunch box or bag.
Swap out those boring brown bags for a cool lunch box or bag. Try an insulated lunch bag and thermos to keep food fresh. Your kids’ favorite character just may give them better attitude about eating healthy.
Now it’s time to pack healthier school lunches for kids + ideas that are doable!
- Whole-wheat tortilla wrap with nut butter, veggie slices, and baked chips or pretzels
- Boiled egg, whole-wheat crackers, cheese squares, unsweetened apple sauce
- Yogurt, raspberries, banana, Annie’s cheddar squares,
- Leftovers: chicken on a sandwich and cold mac & cheese, cut up fruit on a stick,
- Taco salad w/out meat, no salt chips, fruit on the side
- Wild Planet tuna fish sandwich (my son loves tuna), fresh blueberries and blackberries, Annie’s cookies
- Tomato, cheese, spinach (repeat) on a stick, healthy dressing on the side, air-popped popcorn tossed in cinnamon sugar
- Bread-free sandwiches such as a slice of low sodium lunch meat wrapped around a cheese stick, pickle, fruit cup
I do hope this gives you some good ideas on how to pack a healthier lunch for your kids. School is so important and we need our kids to have good nutrition and that begins at home. Now, if your kiddos are old enough, here’s information on 10 STEPS TO TEACH KIDS TO PACK THEIR OWN HEALTHY LUNCHES