If you’re like me and want your kids to have healthy foods, in this recipe you can hide a well-known nutritional seed that has a nutty flavor – raw hemp seed. As a busy mom to one young boy who is already eating me out of house and home loves for me to bake desserts. So I try to make them as healthy as possible, still keeping a sweet taste.
This easy biscotti recipe is actually healthy enough to eat for breakfast or for a mid-day snack with coffee – Yum!!
Whole-Wheat Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti
*Adapted from Cooking Light with minor changes for a healthier cookie.
- 2 cups (measured exactly; do not pack) 100% whole-wheat flour such as King Arthur
- 2 tbl raw hemp seeds or flaxseed (do not grind)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup Turbinado sugar (Amazon affiliate link)
- 1/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar (I used light)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips (70% cocoa or higher)
- 3/4 cup plain almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly fill measuring cup with flour. Combine flour, hemp seed, soda, and salt in med bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Combine sugars, egg, egg whites in large bowl; beat with a mixer on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir well.
7. Roll each part into a 6-inch roll. Place rolls 3-inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat to a 1-inch thickness.
If you have a biscotti recipe, please share in a comment.