Did you know these cute little fishes called sardines are packed with abundance of nutrition, such as Omega 3? For this reason alone, I’m trying my first ever sardine. And…I’m sharing 20 Ways to Eat A Sardine + Recipes with you.
For disclosure purposes – I’ve received a case of sardines free because I am a Wild Planet Brand Ambassador. I have eaten Wild Planet tuna for quite sometime now (way before I became an ambassador, but I’ve never tried a sardine…not a one! Now, I just need to know how in the world to eat this little fish. How about you?
First, and foremost…did you know Wild Planet’s sardines are…
A true nutritional powerhouse and an important source of Omega 3, protein, Vitamin D, iron, and calcium.
Scale free, meaty, tender and full of flavor –they’ll change the way you think about sardines!
An easy addition to salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes and snacks, or enjoy them straight from the can!
AVAILABLE IN FIVE VARIETIES!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil w\Lemon, in Marinara Sauce, Water w/Sea Salt, Water No Salt
Also, and I love this part – Wild Planet Foods are wildly caught (not farm raised).
Okay, so I asked a few friends on Facebook how they eat a sardine and here’s their answers (1-8). Most popular way to eat a sardine is…”straight out of the can”. Nine through 20 is from the Wild Planet recipe book that was given to me.
20 Ways to Eat A Sardine + Recipes
- Straight out of the can
- On a cracker
- Add mustard to that cracker
- Mix it with mayo, salt & pepper…kind of like tuna
- Saute in oil, garlic, onions and tomato with a bit of lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gets rid of fishy smell and taste, and eat with a bowl of rice!
- Toss a few in a salad
- Put a few in a pasta dish
- And of course, straight out of the can
- On a sandwich with cream cheese and a thin slice of red onion (yum)
- Stuff a sardine into a pepper for a tasty hors d’oeuvre
- Mash sardines with a can of Wild Planet sockeye salmon and spread on a toasted bagel that’s been smeared with cream cheese
- Sardine tacos! Foods to use: Sriracha mayo, avocado, sliced radishes, chopped purple cabbage, cilantro and a squeeze of lime
- For breakfast. Take 2 hard-boiled eggs, spread out on bagel, top with slices of tomato and sardines
- Making a dip, such as spinach & artichoke? Add in chopped sardines
- Add a sardine or two to your favorite egg salad sandwich
- Serve as a 3-ingredient appetizer by using a toothpick and layer a sardine, artichoke heart, and a cherry tomato
- Sardine sushi
- Dip in humus
- Make a dip: Mash together sardines, mayo, chopped parsley, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crackers and/or chips.
- Pesto! process a handful of fresh basil, toasted pine nuts, EVOO, cracked pepper, shredded parmesan cheese and 2 sardines packed in EVOO.
There you go – 20 ways to eat a sardine.
Okay, time for a few sardine recipes. Get your apron (affiliate link) on and let’s start cooking!
Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over a pizza dough crust or flatbread. Top with sardines packed in EVOO, and green olive halves. Broil until heated through (5-7 mins). Top pizza with arugula that’s been drenched in olive oil and parmesan cheese and cracked pepper – yum!
Place a half piece of nori on a sushi mat (shiny side down) and add a layer of seasoned sushi rice. Layer thin strips of sardines packed in water, avocado, and cucumber sticks. Squeeze a lemon over and roll. Cut into 6-8 pieces and top with a drizzle of spicy mayo, black sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.
Sardine Power Lunch
1 can (4.4oz) Wild Planet Wild Sardines in EVOO, EVOO with Lemon, or Water 1/2 a ripe avocado, peeled and mashed with a fork Toasted bread, crackers, tortilla chips or other similar ”base” Fresh lemon or lime wedges Hot sauce to taste (optional) Place sardines on a cutting board. Separate the two sides, and cut each side into two or three pieces. Set aside. Spread mashed avocado on toasted bread or other ”base”. Top with sardine pieces. Squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over; add hot sauce to taste.
If you love these 20 Ways to Eat A Sardine + Recipes go ahead and share it with your friends! And tell me – how do YOU eat a sardine?