Did you know that all smoke alarms need to be replaced every 10 years? I didn’t! I think ours is about due! With Fire Prevention Week coming up soon (Oct. 5-11), I thought I’d do a little research on fire-safety, and how to fire proof your home so I could share with Brody. Below, I have listed 8 tips to fire proof your home. I also wanted to do a “shout out” on an awesome app to help kids learn about fire-safety…and best of all it’s free and includes the wonderful most awesome dog in the world…SPARKY!
What a great way to talk about fire-safety with your kids than to let Sparky into your little ones’ space. You’ll find this free app to be fun and educational…and Sparky the Fire Dog is waiting to meet your kiddos – so download the free app today!! Link below. But first, here’s a few tips for you and for you to discuss with your kids.
8 Tips to Fire Proof Your Home
- Test your smoke alarm batteries every month.
- Change out batteries annually.
- Keep smoke alarms free of cobwebs and dust by cleaning every time you check the batteries.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make sure your home is equipped with enough smoke alarms. Place one on every level of your home. Having one or two in a home is probably not enough.
- Visit your neighborhood fire department with your kids for a tour of their facility, and have them talk about how important fire safety is in your home. PS. Take them cookies!
- Develop a fire safety plan with the whole family, and don’t forget to place the escape plan on wall near an exit door.
- Although not required by law, it may be a good idea to have in place a fire extinguisher. If you do, put it somewhere where there’s easy access to it.
Most importantly, make sure your smoke alarm is somewhere close to where you sleep at night so should it go off in the middle of the night you can hear it. We have 3 in our small 1500 sq ft home – one in the hall, one in the den (both are close to our bedroom), and one up in our loft.
Brody’s favorite part about the app is that he gets to interact with Sparky while playing the game as he tries to collect all the smoke alarms and the batteries too!! Hands on fun for sure!!
Okay, so after talking with your kiddos about fire-safety and fire proofing your home, download this free app from the NFPA/Sparky.org Sparky and the Case of the Missing Smoke Alarms and watch & listen how they enjoy all the awesome information. You’ll love Sparky as much as your kids will…I promise!!
About the App
Your kids (Kindergarten and up) will love helping Sparky the Fire Dog solve the mystery of the missing smoke alarms. It will teach them all about fire-safety in a way that’s fun and educational – a win win to me! Included in this fun app is lots of animations and even a cool game to play. Sparky the Fire Dog is sure to bring a boat load of laughter to your home!