This easy biscotti recipe is actually healthy enough to eat for breakfast or for a mid-day snack with coffee – Yum!!. If you’re like me and want your kids to have healthy foods, in this recipe you can hide a well-known nutritional seed that has a nutty flavor – raw hemp seed. As a busy mom to one young boy who is already eating me out of house and home, loves for me to bake desserts. So I try to make them as healthy as possible, still keeping a sweet taste.
Whole-Wheat Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti
*Adapted from Cooking Light with minor changes for a healthier cookie.
- 2 cups (measured exactly; do not pack) 100% whole-wheat flour such as King Arthur
- 2 tbl raw hemp seeds or flaxseed (do not grind)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup Turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar (I used light)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips (70% cocoa or higher)
- 3/4 cup plain almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. The dough will be sticky. You may want to put flour on your hands and lay down a piece of parchment paper.
7. Roll each part into a 6-inch roll. Place rolls 3-inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat to a 1-inch thickness.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until firm.
9. Remove rolls from baking sheet and cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
10. Cut rolls diagonally into 30 1/2-inch slices. I found it easier to take a sharp knife; start at far side of roll and with a rocking motion cut rolls using two hands.