Sonic drink holders make the perfect Father’s Day gift box. A simple DIY craft for you and/or your kids to make by re-purposing a popular drink holder. So, go right now to Sonic and order a couple of drinks so you can get a drink holder that holds 2 drinks. If they don’t give you one, ask for it!! This DIY craft turned out so cute…and it’s easy…just a little messy though!! All you need is a few supplies and you can pretty much make it like you want. FYI – the box above is the same one as below, but I redecorated it…you know, us crafters can’t resist do-overs!!
Father’s Day Sunday, June 19th
Repurposed Sonic Drink Holder into a Father’s Day Gift Box
- A Sonic drink carrier that holds 2 drinks or another drink holder from somewhere else!
- 2-3 sheets of 12 x 12 decorative paper
- Mod Podge (glue)
- sponge brush
- scissors and a paper cutter if you have one
- shred scissors to make fringe
- Father’s Day stamp
- decorations, such as, ribbon, stickers, washi tape, etc.
- package tape
- wet wipes
- brown paint, paint brush (optional)
The Sonic drink holders are sturdy enough for bottles of your dad’s favorite drinks.
Mod Podge is really really messy, but after it dries it makes projects look so nice and shiny.
- Secure drink holder by taping the sides (inside & out) and the bottom of holder.
- Determine your color scheme and where you want each color of paper to be, then measure and cut to fit sections of the holder. I used my paper cutter and scissors.
- Glue each section one at a time. Start with the large side piece and work your way around. VERY IMPORTANT: Lightly spread glue on box AND on back side of paper, then apply to box. Rub out bubbles with your fingers and make sure all sides are glued down and secure. You’ll want to keep your fingers wet with either glue or water when rubbing bubbles out. Then, spread glue over the top of piece. So, spread glue on box, backside of paper piece and on top, then go to next piece.
- Cover and glue the part where the hole is on both sides with a solid color, then after it dries, carefully cut out the hole. It’s easier this way. Then spread glue on top of both pieces.
- Take same color of solid paper and make a fringe border all the way around the box (in sections) So you’ll have 4 pieces. Use shred scissors if you have them to make the fringe. If not, use scissors. Glue fringe border onto box – each section at a time – again, lightly spread glue on box and back of border, then apply using your fingers to secure in place. To make fringe stiff (yet movable) apply glue lightly on the back of it. Once fringe border is in place, spread glue on top, then move about the fringe pieces where you want them – some out and some down on box.
- Make a Father’s Day tag from scrap paper of any color.
- I painted the inside of box brown only b/c I got glue on it. This is certainly optional.
- Decorate, decorate, decorate
- Put some shred inside box and fill it with gifts for DAD!
I painted the inside of box just half way down with brown paint because of the glue stains. See above.
Be creative and have fun!!
So, don’t throw away those Sonic drink holders again!! And, be sure to ask for one every time you order more than 1 drink. The list is endless on what you can do with these boxes. I’m sure other places give out similar drink holders too….so look out for them.
- Outdoor barbecue utensil holder
- July 4th Centerpeice
- Supply box
- Thanksgiving centerpiece for kid’s table
- Teacher gift box
- Take on picnics
- and more!