My husband made this delicious apple pie to take to his boss’s house for their annual Christmas dinner. Everyone RAVED over it. My husband’s easy cast iron skillet apple pie was so good; everyone wanted the recipe. So, here it is. Maybe you’ll like it too.
Easy Cast Iron Skillet Apple Pie
AND…when he and I posted this photo to Facebook; everyone wanted the recipe. So I thought it has to be good enough to post to my blog for everyone to see it. Prerequisite: a cast iron skillet!! It’s super easy too!!
His mom made this apple pie a couple of years ago at Christmastime, but it wasn’t until this year Tracy decided to make it. We didn’t get to go to his parent’s this year for Christmas, so Tracy’s boss invited us over for Christmas dinner with his family. Tracy always likes to wow people with his excellent cooking, and I’m usually the baker of the family…but this time he wanted to wow his bosses’ family with something home-baked right from the oven. “It’s all in the cast iron skillet,” he says. So here’s the recipe.
- 2 lb. Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 lb. Braeburn Apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (14.1 oz) pkg. refrigerated pie crust
- egg white (1)
- 2 tbsp Turbinado sugar
- Ice cream (optional – but recommended)!!
Note: One thing Tracy did differently from the recipe is he used all Granny Smith Apples.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel, core, and slice apples, then toss with cinnamon and 3/4 cup white sugar.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook continually stirring for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and place one pie crust in the skillet over sugar mixture.
- Spoon apple mixture over pie crust and top with remaining pie crust.
- Whisk the egg white until foamy. Brush over top of pie crust.
- Sprinkle two tbs of Turbinado sugar over the top.
- Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.
Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 mins until crust is golden brown and bubbly
Cool on rack 30 mins before serving. Serves 8-10
You may also like…