Finding Foods that Won’t Stress You Out
Consider banning these during stressful times:
- Caffeinated beverages:
Caffeine can cause anxiety and raise stress hormone levels and may
interrupt your ability to sleep. If you feel you need some daily
caffeine, consider switching to green tea.
- Sugar: Sugar causes rises in blood sugar levels, which can rob your adrenal glands of the ability to control stress hormones.
- Alcohol: Alcohol adds more sugar to your diet and also can be harmful to the adrenal gland.
Consider having these instead:
Eating the right foods can help give you the nutrients your stressed-out body and mind need to feel better. Try these five stress-busting choices:
- Milk: Milk is high in antioxidants and vitamins B2 and B12, as well as
protein and calcium. Have a bowl of whole-grain cereal and low-fat milk
in the morning to keep your energy up and running.
- Cottage Cheese and Fruit: Cottage cheese is high in protein and calcium. Pair it with a fruit high in vitamin C, like oranges, for added benefits.
- Almonds: Try crunching on almonds to relieve some tension. Almonds are a good source of vitamins B2 and E, magnesium, and zinc. Although they’re high in fat, most of the fat is unsaturated.
- Blueberries: An antioxidant powerhouse, blueberries offer a High-fiber, low-calorie choice that is also rich in stress-fighting vitamin C.
- Tuna: A good lunch partner, tuna is high in stress-fighting vitamins B6 and B12 and is a good low-fat protein source.