Okay, all my gluten-free eaters. I’ve made the perfect cupcake for you!! It’s my Gluten free Coconut Lemon Cupcakes. See the recipe below.
These gluten free coconut lemon cupcakes are one of my favorites that I’ve made. They came out so light and airy on the moist side. And the toasted shredded coconut topped this winner off just right. If you like the taste of coconut, you’ll love these. It’s a perfect cupcake for that afternoon coffee break.
Gluten Free Coconut Lemon Cupcakes
Yields 12 Cupcakes
For the cupcake:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- coconut milk -1/2 cup
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract or lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tbs coconut milk (measure as you go)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- extra 1/2 cup shredded coconut for toasting
- 1 tsp vanilla
- extra lemon zest for the top (optional)
- 1 tbs honey for extra flavor (optional)
Making gluten-free cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
In a small bowl, stir flour, salt, and baking soda together. Set aside.
In another small bowl, stir sugar, lemon extract, and vanilla extract together to mold the flavors together. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the melted
coconut oil and coconut milk. Stir until smooth. Add the lemon vanilla
sugar mix, stirring until well blended. Stir in the coconut flour
Then stir in the shredded coconut.
Scoop in 2 tablespoons (just under 1/4 cup) of batter into each muffin liner. Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan and then remove to a wire rack or counter to completely cool.
Making gluten-free frosting
- Toast the shredded coconut on a baking sheet for 5-7 mins until golden brown (be sure to observe). Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the coconut milk with the powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add coconut oil and beat until fluffy.
- Drop vanilla and honey if using and mix well.
- Add in shredded coconut by hand.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top with toasted shredded coconut and zest from a lemon if desired.
- Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.