Hey, all my green warrior friends – have you heard? Green is the new Red for Valentine’s Day! Why not go green for Valentine’s Day this year and save the earth at the same time? Here’s why and how. This blog post contains affiliate links. If anyone were to make a purchase using one of the links, FGM would receive a small commission with no extra cost to the consumer.
Go Green for Valentine’s Day this Year
As another Valentine’s Day approaches, thoughts are turning to roses, chocolates, and other gifts to make that special someone feel “special.” Have you considered going green for Valentine’s Day by choosing eco-friendly gifts that will please both your sweetheart and Mother Earth?
When it comes to eco-friendly Valentine’s Day gifts, there’s nothing greener than a gift that results in less trash, less toxics, less carbon footprint, less cost, and overall less impact on Mother Earth.
Why is going green so important?
Valentine’s Day revolves around the idea that you should give sweets or flowers to your loved one, yet it produces some not-so-sweet stats. Nearly a billion valentines are sent each year globally. More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold annually, and one hundred ten million roses are sold within a three-day time period. That’s a lot of waste that fills up our landfills with garbage.
How to go green for Valentine’s Day
Here are tips and tricks to make it easy to plan a sustainable Valentine’s Day this year.
- Do It Yourself Greeting Cards: Use photos from an old magazine to create a tailor-made greeting.
- Go with a potted plant or flowers like tulips or a hydrangea that can be planted outside when Spring finally arrives.
- Ditch the pre-packaged treats and make your own: cheaper than pre-packed products, less packaging waste, and more love in the recipe.
- Fire up the grill or the oven if it’s freezing outside and make dinner for your sweetheart!
- Give your homemade treats to your sweetie in a stainless steel food container or a reusable bag.
You May Also Like
Green Everyday Products for Your Home