Not only is this raw blackberry jam easy to make, its pectin-free and gluten-free – and is the perfect jam for a healthy breakfast. Blackberries are in season right now, which makes it the best time of year to make this healthy tasty raw blackberry jam.
June is blackberry month and so blackberries grow in abundance. I should know, we have a bush in our backyard that gets bigger and bigger each year. So, I’ll be making blackberry everything!! There are many different recipes that call for blackberries, and if I’m not mistaken, these berries do not cost that much – ever. Definitely less expensive than blueberries. This is a great healthy jam everyone can enjoy!
Healthy Tasty Raw Blackberry Jam
Yields 4 cups.
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 tbsp of raw honey
- 2 tbsp Chosen Foods chia seeds
- 4 tbsp fresh clean water
I’m sure by now (hopefully) everyone knows that chia seeds are a healthy food to eat. Chia seeds are considered one of the healthiest fats to eat and are also considered a superfood. These teenie tiny seeds are very powerful in omega fats, protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. No need to chop, cut, score these seeds like you would flax seeds, to get the benefit. Eat them whole!!
- Soak the chia seeds in 4 tbsp of fresh clean water for 10 minutes. The chia seeds turn to gel in the water and this will give the jam the texture it needs.
- Wash the blackberries gently.
- Mix all ingredients together in a blender for 1 minute or so.
- Pour into 2 containers with lids.
- Put one in the refrigerator to enjoy now, and store the other in the freezer for later.
How to store:
- Keep Refrigerated: Good for up to 2 weeks
- Keeps 6 months in the freezer
This healthy tasty raw blackberry jam works as a freezer jam, but not for canning. The uses are endless – spread on toast, drop on top of fruit, add in smoothies, mix in oatmeal, etc.
For another tasty raw jam, see what I made 3 yrs ago around this time with blueberries. My then 4-year-old just loved it – Raw Blueberry Jam with bananas and whip cream
Here’s another fun dessert for the upcoming holiday – Chia Seed Pudding for 4th of July