I love this time of year – the warm fall colors it brings – the fresh crisp air I get to breath – baking in my kitchen – and all the wonderful aromas of spices!! Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite time to bake homemade breads, muffins, & cookies. I like to eat healthy, so naturally I’m going bake using healthy ingredients. Try these muffins for a nutritional snack or breakfast, or any time of the day! My five-year-old likes them and asks for one for breakfast before school. That makes me happy!!
Morning After Thanksgiving Healthy Blueberry Chia Muffins
Adapted from allrecipes.com with my substitutions for healthier muffins
These muffins are great to make ahead of time and perfect for the morning after Thanksgiving when no one wants to be in the kitchen baking or cooking…again!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (you can substitute wheat flour)
- 1 cup unrefined organic sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup CHOSEN FOODS organic chia seeds
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh water
- 3/4 cup organic applesauce
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- eggs (2), beaten
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 TBL brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 or 2 TBL of large golden crystals sugar such as Turbinado (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 24 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- Sift flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Add oats and chia seeds to flour mixture. Sit aside.
- Mix orange juice, applesauce, water, oil, and eggs together in a medium bowl. stir into flour mixture until batter is just combined; fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl; sprinkle over batter muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle golden crystals sugar on top for a pretty sparkle.
- ENJOY the little crunch the chia seeds give out!!
Store in airtight container. If making the muffins for the next morning, simply reheat in microwave for about 10 seconds. That will give the blueberries a little burst.
Have you heard of Chia Seeds? If so, what foods do you add them too?