Father’s Day is around the corner and what a great time to start thinking about what you’re going to do for dad. If you need to get out of the house, grab a Sonic drink holder or another type drink holder and follow along making this Eco-friendly Recycled Father’s Day Gift Box. Get the kids involved!
Recycled Father’s Day Gift Box
Sonic drink holders make the perfect Father’s Day gift box. A simple Eco-friendly DIY craft for you and your kids to make by re-purposing a favorite drink holder. Doesn’t that sound like fun? It was for us. So, I’m bringing this craft back around because this is the perfect time to do crafts at home. If you get out and about (which I’m sure you will), go by Sonic and order drinks. If they don’t give you one, ask for it.
This recycled Sonic drink holder craft turned out so cute! It was easy to make, just a little messy!! All you need is a few supplies, and you can pretty much make it as you want.
Father’s Day Gift Box Instructions
Supplies needed for gift box
- A Sonic drink carrier that holds two to four drinks or another drink holder from somewhere else.
- 2-3 sheets of 12 x 12 decorative paper
- Mod Podge or glue*
- sponge brush
- scissors and a paper cutter if you have one
- shred scissors to make fringe
- Father’s Day stamp
- Decorations, such as ribbon, stickers, washi tape, etc.
- package tape
- wet wipes
- brown paint, paintbrush (optional)
*Mod Podge is messy, but after it dries, it makes projects shiny.
Be sure to use what you have at home. No need to go out and buy supplies.
Directions for Recycled Father’s Day gift box
- Secure drink holder by taping the sides (inside & out) and the bottom of the holder.
- Determine your color scheme and where you want each color of paper to be, then measure and cut to fit sections of the holder. I used my paper cutter and scissors.
- Glue each section one at a time. Start with the large side piece and work your way around. VERY IMPORTANT: Lightly spread glue on the box AND back side of the paper, then apply to box. Rub out bubbles with your fingers and make sure all sides are glued down and secure. You’ll want to keep your fingers wet with either glue or water when rubbing bubbles out. Then, spread glue over the top of the piece. Spread glue on the box, the backside of paper piece and top, then go to the next part.
- Cover and glue the part where the hole is on both sides with a solid color, then after it dries, carefully cut out the hole. It’s easier this way. Then spread glue on top of both pieces.
- Take the same color of solid paper and make a fringe border around the box (in sections), So you’ll have four pieces. Use shred scissors if you have them to make the fringe. If not, use scissors. Glue fringe border onto the box – each section at a time – again, lightly spread glue on box and back of the border, then apply using your fingers to secure in place. To make fringe stiff (yet movable), apply glue lightly on the back of it. Once the fringe border is in place, spread glue on top, then move about the fringe pieces where you want them – some out and some down on the box.
- Make a Father’s Day tag from scrap paper of any color.
- I painted the inside of box brown only b/c I got glue on it. Optional, of course.
- Decorate, decorate, decorate
- Put some shred inside the box and fill it with gifts for DAD!
Be creative, and have fun!!
I painted the inside of the box just halfway down with brown paint because of the glue stains. See above. I enjoyed making this one of a kind recycled Father’s Day Gift Box so much that I also made one for the 4th of July – check it out.
Gift Ideas for Father’s Day
- Dad’s favorite snacks
- Writing pen
- Photos of him and the kids
- A gift card to a subscription Adventure Box
- Pocket knife
- and more fun stuff
So, next time don’t throw away those Sonic drink holders. Be sure to ask for one every time you order more than one drink. The list is endless on what you can do with these boxes. I’m sure other places give out similar drink holders too.
What can you make with a Sonic Drink Holder?
- Outdoor barbecue utensil holder
- July 4th Centerpiece
- Supply box
- Thanksgiving centerpiece for kid’s table
- Teacher gift box
- Take on picnics
- Pet Gift Box
- and more!
I hope you liked my DIY Father’s Day Gift Box. Do you have another idea for the use of these drink holders? I’d love to know!
Go here for a Free Personalized Printable Father’s Day Coloring Page
You May Also Like