Here in the south, we like butter and sugar, lots of it I have to admit. Certainly, there are ways to bake foods with lots of butter and sugar, and it still is good for you – right?! Check out my Southern Style Gluten-free Banana Nut Muffins that uses a cup of each!
When I bake, I use the best possible ingredients. I like to say better-for-you ingredients. The whole family will like these. Don’t tell them the are gluten-free because they will not be able to tell the difference.
Southern Style Gluten-free Banana Nut Muffins
Makes 36 small muffins
- 2 cups brown rice flour*
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted Kerrygold butter, softened
- 1 cup Turbinado raw cane sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup flaxseed, ground
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar for dusting
* I used Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour which is perfect for gluten-free baking.
Note: I made my own powdered sugar simply by grinding 1/2 cup of Turbinado raw sugar in my grinder, and just like that it made 1/2 cup of powdered sugar – free of cornstarch.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened butter, sugar, and bananas together until smooth.
- Stir in eggs.
- Mix together rice flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Let batter sit in the bowl for 10 mins or so before spooning in greased muffin pan or paper cups.
- Bake for 25-30 mins.
- Let cool before dusting with powdered sugar.
I hope you like the taste of bananas because you’ll taste them in these muffins. You will also want to eat these muffins warm.
Here’s to a southern muffin that’s good for breakfast, lunch or a snack! And, not to mention a great way to hide a good nutritional ingredient – flaxseed.
There’s nothing better than having healthy breakfast foods on hand or snack items when you’re on the go or when company comes over unannounced. These Southern Style Gluten-free Banana Nut Muffins are perfect for that. Freeze any that are left over.
[You may also like]