As a busy mom to one young boy who is already eating everything in sight loves for me to bake desserts. So I try to make them as healthy as possible, still keeping a sweet taste. Here’s a simple way to make whole-wheat dark chocolate almond biscotti.
This easy biscotti recipe is healthy enough to eat for breakfast or a mid-day snack with coffee. And, if you’re like me and want your kids to eat healthy foods, in this recipe you can hide a well-known nutritional seed that has a nutty flavor – raw hemp seed.
Whole-Wheat Dark Chocolate Almond Biscotti
*Adapted from Cooking Light with minor changes for a healthier cookie.
- 2 cups (measured exactly; do not pack) 100% whole-wheat flour such as King Arthur
- 2 Tbl raw hemp seeds or flaxseed (do not grind)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup Turbinado raw sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark or light brown sugar (I used light)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips (70% cocoa or higher)
- 3/4 cup plain almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly fill a measuring cup with flour. Combine flour, hemp seed, soda, and salt in med bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Combine sugars, egg, egg whites in large bowl; beat with a mixer on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir well.
6. Divide dough into three equal parts. The dough will be sticky. You may want to put flour on your hands and lay down a piece of parchment paper.
7. Roll each part into a 6-inch roll. Place rolls 3-inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pat to a 1-inch thickness.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until firm.
9. Remove rolls from baking sheet and let cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
10. Cut rolls diagonally into 30 1/2-inch slices. I found it easier to take a sharp knife; start at the far side of the roll and with a rocking motion cut rolls using two hands.